Thursday, May 31, 2012

May Foodie Pen Pal Box

So, I don't even remember if I wrote recently about how I'm giving my up monthly areas of opportunity for a while. I don't even remember if I wrote about it, that's how crazy life has been. My goal for now through September 1st is to just hold on to my sanity and hold on for dear life. 

So far I've been doing an okay job. 

I started grad school, am wrapping up the teaching year, and trying to figure out what I'm gonna do as a stay at home mom for 5 weeks. I am planning a vacation and am planning a summer camp and researching pool memberships. Oh, and apartment hunting now that I've kinda settled on the fact that I have to take my reduced contract at the school I currently teach at because no one else offered me a job. Oh well, such is life. 

However, despite the insanity in my life right now I have undertaken a super easy new project: The Foodie Pen Palls. The "game" is sponsored by Lindsay over at the Lean Green Bean. Here are the details:

Each person signed up is sent a patch who they are mailing a box to. She says to fill the box with: "fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treatsThe spending limit is $15The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe…use your imagination!"

I am SOOOO glad I got such a good box this month as an example of how to be more festive next month. The box I sent had yummy stuff, but this was definitely more thoughtful than mine. It's okay, I'll do better next month. 

My pen pal was Susan over at It's not all Bento. For those of you who don't know ('cause I didn't when I first visited her site) a bento is a cute little single serving meal. Here is a picture of one she made: 
{Via}

Okay, now on to the goodies. 


[Side note:To be totally honest, this post is making me realize that my photo editing skills suck... and that I need Photoshop. Also, I took the pictures with my phone (yeah, I need a nice camera too...a full time job would also be nice while I'm at it) and they were doing something funky when I uploaded them and put a gray strip at the bottom of the picture and cut some of the image off. I don't know; I know how to crop so I just cut it off and some of the pictures came out weird.]

So, what did I get?

1) Homemade Plum-Kissed Pear Jam
2) Flavored Honey Sticks and Tea 
3)Dry Roasted Edamame
4) Powdered Peanut Butter...which is just so exciting in itself that I'm afraid to even try it
5) Chocolate almond toast sprinkle
6) Homemade chocolate granola (which the baby LOVED!)
7)Vegan "jerky"...which is not in the picture because my sister and I ate it as soon as we opened the box 





She also sent me a recipe for Risotto made with TVP because she is awesome and read through my blog to find out what I might like. Isn't she the nicest ever?! I haven't made it yet, but I haven't done much of anything except work and do homework recently. I'll get to it soon because it sounds yummy. 

Now, on top of the goodies something kinda weird 
The top two and bottom left are her handwriting, the bottom right is mine.


Seriously?! Does everyone see that her handwriting looks exactly like mine? I have sticky notes and a two sided recipe cared covered in what looks like my own handwriting. 


I have no words to describe what it is like to find that someone from a billion miles away (oh, did I mention that she's in Alaska and I'm in Ohio) has such similar handwriting.


 No words, make of it what you will. 


Well, there you have it. My first Foodie Pen Pal reveal day. 


Hopefully I'll be back soon with something productive, but if nothing else I'll be back the end of next month with my box. 


Until then, go visit Lindsay and Susan and make some new friends. 




The Lean Green Bean

3 comments:

  1. You did a great job on your box that you sent. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! We DO have the same handwriting! How bizarre! I'm left-handed, are you?

    Glad you liked your goodies. It was so fun picking them out. :)

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great foodie package!

    ReplyDelete