Thursday, April 5, 2012

Penny Thots: My new project

Check out the new project I ma working on. It's a personal finance blog where 20 different writers are working together to share their ideas and tactics.

(And I will get paid when we start getting enough page views! So click away)
Here is the beginning of my first post 


A Productive Way to Waste Time: Idea Shopping

I am a high anxiety person. I saw a counselor for a while and that made me feel a lot better. I attend meditation classes and exercise regularly, and that has made me feel a lot better too. But I would say I went from about a stress level 14 (on a scale of 1-10) down to about an 8, and while I feel better I still have to be conscious of things that make me extra stressed.
I also have pretty good self-control when it comes to not spending money I don’t have. However, I am not good at sticking to an exact schedule. When I get stressed and have time that should be allocated to being productive–but is not dictated by an appointment–I sometimes blow things off and go wandering.
I am an expert wanderer. I love walking around Wal-Mart or Target for an hour or a book store. I usually don’t buy anything unless I really need something and have the money to spend, but during these times I look for ideas.
I look for organizing tools to see what is new and exciting and could someday be something I want to buy. I look for prices on electronics and furniture and snow blowers and organic vegetable seeds so I know who has the best price.
I also like to venture into stores I’ve never been in, or stores I don’t go in regularly enough to know their stock and prices. I unofficially call this “idea shopping”. The goal is not to buy things, or stock on up sale items, or scour through clearance racks: the goal is to create ideas.  
Or check out my Game of Balance post about a recent Idea Shopping trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment