Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I am not a [P]oet, but I am a writer. I need to remember this.

I am not much of a poet, but I am a writer. Actually, the past 6 months of blogging (oh my gosh, I just realized it's been that long) have really made a huge impact on my writing style. I have developed some very basic but very profound personal stylistic attributes that make writing not only easier but also more productive for me.


I need to remember this.


My blog is not a journal of my personal life; I don't want my personal life on the internet. I share tidbits, mostly detail-less life lessons learned, but that's as far as I go. When I was younger though I kept a journal ritualistically. It has a huge source of stress relief, personal reflection, and  internal growth. There have been many times in my life when I couldn't figure out the right words to SAY what I was feeling that I was able to write down my feelings and make sense of them. Actually, I often gave these writings in the form of letters to the people who were closest to me.


I spent 5 years in college learning to write and I TEACH writing for goodness sakes. By putting my ideas into the structures i teach and using the strategies I know I can make sense of just about anything.


So, though I have no aspirations to be a poet, I already am a writer. I need to remember to practice what I preach and let my skills help me as I want them to help my students.


Today, I will be writing a letter.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, just trekking by from the A-Z challenge!


    Also, became a follower!


    Interesting post!

    I write poetry - I hope that won't keep you away; hope you will stop by!

    http://bettyalark.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I am a teacher too. I agree with you in regard to not blogging about your life online. I see it too much!

    Thanks for sharing your stories,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the structure of your A to Z Challenge blog post titles. I'm a writer who used to dabble in poetry from time to time but I wouldn't call myself a poet because I've never earned money from any of them nor have I shared many of them with anyone or anything but my notebooks. Teaching others how to write is a great undertaking. I also have a fond appreciation for people knowing how to read. Literacy is something that I think many adults take for granted.

    Cheers!

    ~Nicole
    Blog: The Madlab Post
    *Rockin' the A to Z Challenge!*
    @MadlabPost on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a writer but not a poet. I think poetry takes a lot of skill.

    Looks like you're doing great with the blog and with the writing in general. Keep up the good work and all the best for the rest of the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I taught writing, and finally now have a chance to be devoted to writing! Good post.

    ReplyDelete