Thursday, April 5, 2012

I am [E]ating healthier


I am spending this month writing about how I need more focus and inspiration in my life, and how I wanted to find 25 things that I am (or like) as a way to help me find focus.

Today's "I am" is that I am eating healthier (or, more healthy. But I feel that adverbs are falling out of use, so I thought I would follow the trend). 

In February, I decided for my monthly Area of Opportunity that I wanted to be a vegetarian for one day a week as a way to help encourage myself to be more healthy. Well, this ended in me accidentally become a strict vegetarian.

I have been using different tools to help me make sure I am getting what I need in terms of nutrients, like MyFitnessPal, and I have learned a lot about how I need to adjust the food pyramid to meet the needs of a vegetarian.

I have been working out 3-4 times a week and am now able to do 5 miles of hills on the elliptical with no sweat(running makes my knees sore, I'll get there eventually). I also have been doing some fitness reading and know that when something gets easy that means its time to fine a new way to challenge yourself, and this is exactly WHY I am reading about fitness.

All of this makes me feel amazing about myself. I haven't lost a ton of weight, but I know that I am also building muscle, so I'm okay with that. I sometimes go over my calories for the day, but I know that healthier choices overall will make a difference even if I am not perfect.

Today my friend asked me if I wanted to go to Olive Garden for lunch and my first though was that there isn't really anything there besides just pasta with sauce, or salad drenched in cheese and dressing, that I can eat. We picked a healthier restaurant. 

Don't worry, I'm not starving myself. My calorie counter is set at 1750 calories a day, not 1200. But it's impressive to me that when I am more conscientious about what I eat that making healthy choices is a lot easier. 

And I'm impressed that 1750 calories is more than enough to keep me full and happy. 

What are some healthy food choices you are making?

2 comments:

  1. I'd be in food heaven at 1750. Being small and old-ish limits me to 1400. Hungry. Congrats on the successes. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw well done on your healthier choices, especially on picking a healthier restraunt, thats always my downfall! Also well done on becoming properly vegetarian, I am trying to do at least one proper vegetarian meal a week, so much cheaper as well haha :)

    ReplyDelete