Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Some things that are very important to me: Education

"Osama is not a product of Pakistan or Afghanistan. He is a creation of America. Thanks to America, Osama is in every home. As a military man, I know you can never fight and win against someone who can shoot at you once and then run off and hide while you have to remain eternally on guard. You have to attack the source of your enemy's strength. In America's case, that's not Osama or Saddam or anyone else. The enemy is ignorance. That only way to defeat it is to build relationships with these people, to draw them into the modern world with education and business. Otherwise the fight will go on forever.” 
Greg Mortenson, Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time  

 I have a portion of this quotation saved in my blog drafts under the title "The Most Important Anti-War Book Everyone Needs to Read." This title bothered me because, while it is completely true, it is not true to the nature of Mortenson's message. What the title should read is "The most important book about education everyone needs to read." That is his true message. 


I spent 12 hours in the past week driving and listening to this book. Yesterday I wrote about how my priorities have gotten mixed up, and I really think that one of the biggest things I am missing is that I am trying to continue to writing without learning anything new. Of course I have things I already know about; I'm college educated and have always taken the initiative to learn things outside of school as well. But, when I started blogging I stopped reading at the same rate I was learning new things before. 


One of the priorities I need to get back in perspective is to continue to learn new things. This is important for two reasons: 1) It will give me new things I am excited about to write about because I will have more things that are timely and 2) It will ultimately make my content more compelling because I will care more.


Therefore, I am going to start working my way through InfoOhio's 21 Essential Things for 21st Century Success online class.



No comments:

Post a Comment