Thursday, March 29, 2012

I'm changing my mind, or Scope and Squence

I've been doing a lot of...nothing recently. 

I was feeling overwhelmed for a little while, but that has passed. Now I'm just in a phase where I am content to sit and play on the internet all day, or wonder around buying things I don't need. I haven't cleaned, or done laundry, or read a book, or written a blog all week. And I haven't had to work either, so basically I am just existing. 

This isn't totally a bad thing. I am absolutely not depressed, and I'm not feeling stressed or overwhelmed. I'm feeling a little like I've lots some purpose, or direction, but overall I kinda just feel content. Well, content and complacent. 

I had a long talk with a friend yesterday about all of this, and he made me feel better. He basically just told me that this is a step towards finding purpose and focus again.

A lot of things have changed in my life in the past 6 months. I saw a counselor to help with my stress and it absolutely changed my life. I started taking meditation classes and it absolutely changed my life. I have let go of some of the hatred I was harboring and now have a more fulfilling and stres-free relationship with one of my best friends.

And I started blogging. Blogging has taken the space in my life that debate used to fill when it was only my hobby (as opposed to now that it's my job). I started with no clear direction, have learned a lot through reading other bloggers, got two writing jobs, quit one already, and started to feel really stressed about something that was supposed be a stress-relieveing creative outlet. 

Therefore, I've decided I need to make some changes:

1) I took a lot of the blogs I have been following out of Google Reader and have reorganized them. Last night when I went to bed entries were at something like 180. This morning they were at 280. There is absolutely no possible way I can meaningfully absorb all of that on a daily basis. Besides, have of it I don't like anyway.

2) I'm letting go of the gardening idea for the A to Z challenge. I don't really want to write about it that much right now and I think I am instead going to join a CSA with a friend. I am going to use my April month of blogging to just talk about the things that are important to me. 

3) I'm going to stop shying away from writing about myself. I don't care to turn this into a business at this point, so I'm going to stop worrying about a market and SEO and making sure that I am attracting readers. Instead, I am going to write about the the things that I care about: how my son's daycare teacher super pissed me off today, how to be a better student, the things I am learning about teaching, so on and so forth. 

All of this revolves around the idea of scope and sequence. Scope and Sequence is eduspeak meaning the amount that you teach/learn at one time and the order that you learn new things. Thing of it as the width of a road in relation to each step on the road. 

I was going to fast in terms of what I was trying to make this blog into. It doesn't need to make money or be something grand with 40k followers. It just needs to be a place for me to share my ideas, because writing helps me sort out my thoughts. It's for me, and anyone else who wants to read it. I'm not going to develop an action plan to gain twitter followers and I don't care right now to learn how to use Google Analytics. When the time comes, and I have the time, these things will happen. 

So, consider this fair warning that the format might change a little, and the frequency of me writing (After April) will probably drop. But feel free to stop in from time to time to see what's going on. 

Sincerely, 
-Teresa

2 comments:

  1. I'm there with you! I am not working right now so most of the time I am puttering around the house, playing on the web or crafting. I'm discovering that I actually pretty much suck at being a housewife. I have no interest in cleaning or doing laundry, although I admit I love cooking dinner!

    Looking forward to you A to Z posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how I feel lately! Your friend's advice about this being a step towards finding new purpose is brilliant and inspiring. Best of luck with the A to Z and happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete