Sunday, February 5, 2012

I think I'm now accidentally a real vegetarian

Well, the new month is here, which means it's time for a January recap and February introduction to my areas of opportunity.


January
The goal for January was to not watch TV or movies (unless I'm in a social situation), and, actually, it gave me zero to write about. I didn't get all the books read that I wanted to, but I did get some read. And, it did feel very much like the drive to sit around and watch TV was pretty much kicked. Except, I'm currently sitting and watching Bones.


February

Okay, now on to the good stuff.

Recently I have been writing about how I've been reading and thinking a lot about what it means to be a vegetarian. This comes partially from what I have been reading about the Buddhist ideas on meditation and mindfulness as well as not harming  any sentient being. Actually, this has kinda messed my thinking up a lot. It has made me wonder how I could possibly not feel queezy eating eggs or drinking milk considering how industrialized farming is now. And then I started letting my brain run away with itself and thinking about how plants are alive and The Giving Tree and basically just all kinds of nonsense that was more of a weird brainstorm than a logical train of thought.

 I guess I could settle for cage free eggs, and I can't drink milk anyway.

But while my brain was running away apparently as a revolt out of being so tired this week I ended up not eating meat. I'm glad I realized at about 7 p.m. on Friday that it was February and time to move forward to a new area of opportunity because at that point I had eaten a bagel with cream cheese and grapes for breakfast, and grilled cheese and salad for lunch. So, since I realized that it needed to have a veggie day for the first week of February I came home and had whole wheat crackers with spinach and artichoke hummus and tomato for dinner.

Since then I have had pinto bean and onion quesadillas with rice and beans; a tortilla with peanut butter, vanilla yogurt, granola and banana; cheese pizza; grilled cheese and tomato soup; and no meat. This has been fairly delicious. I will admit it has definitely been way more work than it usually is to find things to eat but everything has been yummy and I feel very good about this. I'm thinking this might be more permanent than I had originally intended.



No comments:

Post a Comment