Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Enchiladas in an Instant


I found this recipe originally in the Vegetaria Times Vegetarian Starter Kit. Being a vegetarian is starting to get a lot harder than it was to begin with. I have to learn to cook all over again and am running out of quick ideas pretty fast. But mostly it is killing my grocery budget. 

I have been working on cleaning out the 3 freezers that my family keeps (I know this is absurd, but that's an entirely different story) and they are getting to the point where they are mostly filled with meat. I spent less than $150 on groceries in the entire month of January and that is definitely not going to happen again this month. I was starting to wonder if just allowing myself to become a vegetarian on the spur of the moment was going to work out financially. 



And then I came home tonight, whipped these up in less than 5 minutes (I made the mix over the weekend so it does take more than 5 minutes overall) and they were delicious. And they gave me the boost of confidence that I needed to keep going with this change that I believe in. 


My Enchiladas in an Instant (really not at all like the Vegetarian Times recipe)


Ingredients (proportions are arbitrary, mix them together however you like. I don't believe in measuring)
One box Mexican/Spanish rice mix
1 can black beans
1 can corn kernels
mild salsa
tortillas
cheese 
green onions


Procedures: 
1) Make rice mix according to directions using salsa instead of tomatoes. 

2) Drain and rinse beans and corn and mix into finished rice. 
3) Spoon mixture into tortillas. Roll up and place in greesed caserole dish. 
4) Smother in more salsa, cheese and green onion.
5) Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes. You are waiting for them to turn brown and the cheese to melt; they are already cooked. 

Enjoy =)

You can also warm them up in the microwave for a minute or two to melt cheese. It's a lot faster but then they don't come out crispy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment