Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Famous Freezer Breakfast Burritos

As part of getting ready for my original February month goal  I tried a recipe for freezer breakfast burritos. I started with a recipe from The Simple Dollar and have linked to that recipe a few times, but, I changed the recipe so much to make it my own that I thought it it's about time to share my own recipe. 


These have literally changed the entire way I have been eating. I now warm up a burrito as I'm getting ready in the morning and then eat it in the car on my way to work. It is a huge part of the entire way I am changing the way that I am eating. More to come on that later. 


This is the recipe for my Famous Freezer Breakfast Burritos. 




*Note: I subscribe to the school of cooking where measureless are pretty much arbitrary. In this recipe the measurements particularly aren't important so just add proportions as you see fit. 


Ingredients to make 20 burritos
2 cups shredded cheese (sharp cheddar is my favorite)
18 eggs
16 oz Medium Salsa (Medium doesn't make it hot but it adds some flavor. Mild is too mild)
20 tortillas, burrito size or 10 inch size
Fresh breakfast sausage, uncooked, not preformed.  (I used Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage. It's probably the most expensive thing in this but it's worth it)
Salt and Pepper


Step 1:


Brown sausage. Make sure to break into little pieces, no more than 1/2 inch, or you will have huge chunks in your burritos. Cook thoroughly and set aside. 


Step 2:
Break eggs into a bowl. They will not cook correctly if you try and cook this many eggs by breaking them into a pan. 


Wisk to break yokes. Heat pan, spray with non-stick spray and pour in eggs. 


Stir continuously until eggs are thoroughly cooked. 

Step 3: 
Mix the eggs, sausage, cheese, and salsa together then salt and pepper to taste. I have tried to do this by layering in the ingredients individually and it caused every bite to be different. I didn't like that nearly as much as having all the ingredients mixed together. 
I added the entire jar of salsa when I made these this time and it originally made this a little too sauce-y, so I made another egg and added more cheese.  The important thing is to balance the ingredients so that they aren't dry but also aren't too wet to eat in the car without getting them all over your work clothes. Use your judgment. There really is no way to go wrong.


Step 4: 


I like to set up a whole assembly line so I can do a few burritos at a time. This probably comes from the fact that I worked at Taco Bell from the time that I was 16-19, but you can do this one burrito at a time if you would like. 




It is helpful to warm up the tortillas before starting. It makes them easier to roll. 





Spoon filling into the center of the burrito. Be careful not to overfill or they will be a mess. For the 8 inch tortillas I had I used a little less than half a cup for each burrito. 














Fold in both sides about 1/2 an inch. 




Fold the part of the tortilla closest to you up over the filling and slide it back. You should squeeze the filling into a tight tube between this part of the tortilla and the sides you already folded in. 










Foll the burrito forward and tuck in any corners that are still sticking out. 

















There you have it. A beautifully rolled and only minimally messy breakfast burrito. 






Step 5:






Wrap the burritos in aluminum foil and put into freezer bags. Label with the date and reheating instructions. Freeze until you want to eat them. 


Reheating Instructions
May vary depending on your microwave and how big your burritos are. 

Take burrito out of foil and wrap in paper towel, this keeps it moist as you reheat. Defrost in microwave for 1:30-2 minutes then heat on high 1-2 minutes. 


Enjoy =)



No comments:

Post a Comment